Friday, December 1, 2006

December 2006

Three years ago I began reviewing classical concerts in Davis on this website. But I lacked computer expertise. I lost my excellent webmaster when she began a fulltime job, so the Davis Classical Review lasted for two years and was not published at all last year. Now, with help from Suchit Wichchukit, not only in design and setup but also in instruction, the Davis Classical Review resumes.

Why write reviews of classical concerts at all? Our local newspaper publishes reviews of performances that happen several times, with the present feature editor making the point that reviews are published in order to help readers decide whether they wish to attend. Thus, a once-only performance does not interest him. I have a different view. In the old days when the Davis Enterprise published my concert reviews, I had a phone call from the late Alice Simmons, then in her mid-90s. We were acquainted through the Nostalgics singing group at the Davis Senior Center. Alice, a founder, kept things going for many years; I was piano accompanist for five years. The phone call came later when Alice was pretty much confined to her home. She said my reviews made her my concert companion. Years later, Alice is with me at the computer keyboard; when I write a good review, it is because she is my inspiration.

Three years ago, I did not have the expertise of Suchit Wichchukit, webpage designer and patient tutor of the electronically ignorant. Worse, I had no particular focus except to review as many concerts as possible. Now, contemporary---or at least 20th century---classical music holds my interest. And the UC Davis Music Department, as always, schedules recent and even brand new work. So, along with music by Mozart, Chopin, Dvorak, Beethoven, Handel, Haydn, Purcell and other favorites, we will hear this season work by Elinor Armer, Andy Tan, George Crumb, Andrew Franck, Jacob Druckman, Laurie San Martin, Peter Maxwell Davies, David Jones, Hi Kyung Kim, John Sackett, George Tsontakis and others yet to be named.

The first review: The December 3 UC Davis Music Department's choral concert directed by Jeffrey Thomas.

People in an audience don't seem to discuss concerts very much. Again going back some years, I remember conversations with Leon Mayhew, Richard Cramer and one long talk with 'Turpie' Jackson. In the interest of discussion, I hope readers will contact me and be free with additions, comments and certainly with corrections!

Marilyn Mantay, Editor, Davis Classical Review, 5 December 2006